The lands for the eastern part of the Hanger Hill Garden Estate were acquired in 1925, by Hanger Hill Garden Estate Ealing Limited, which was to build this part of the Estate over the period 1928 to 1932. It comprised Princes Gardens, Tudor Gardens, Vale Lane, the east side of Monks Drive and nos. 1 to 7 and 6 to 20 Queens Drive. Rather evocatively, Princes Gardens was shown on earlier plans as Princes Boulevard.
The Estate offices were at 2-4 Queens Drive, where all the tenants paid their rents. As these eastern homes were being built, a thriving community quickly established itself and a tennis club was formed - the Tudor Tennis Club - with pavilion and courts where Oxford Court is now. The tennis club was the genesis for the Hanger Hill Country Club, which was built and opened in 1932.
Along the western edge of this first half of the Estate ran Masons Green Lane. On the west side of the lane was a stream, which flowed down to the Thames at Chiswick. There was open land between the new homes of the Estate and Boileau Road, leading down to North Ealing Station. In the early 1930s the stream was piped. (To the present day the piped stream still flows through the Estate; there is an inspection chamber in Queens Drive and the water may be seen flowing from the piped system behind the homes in Garage Road where there is a short stretch of open stream). Incidentally, the stream was famous for newts!
Next: The Estate is completed
Development of the Estate
The opening of West Acton station in 1923 did much to stimulate development of the area.
Construction of the Central Line is another pivotal chapter in the Estate's story. 'Our' section of the Line, between Wood Lane and Shepherds Bush and Ealing Broadway, was built and used for goods traffic only from April 1917. The Great Western Railway leased the line to the Central London Railway and the tube service from Shepherd Bush to Ealing Broadway began on 3 August 1920. West Acton Station opened in 1923 - the photo on the left, from the London Transport Museum collection, shows it in 1927.
The opening of the station was the stimulus for much housing development in the area. The Estate to the east of the station, generally referred to as the railway Estate, was built as a co-operative scheme for railway by the Great Western Village Society in 1924-31.